Opening confession

Like many people, my intellectual faculties have felt dulled by lockdown and the restricted conditions under which we've all been living during the present coronavirus pandemic.* This blog represents an attempt to jumpstart work on a particular project which has suffered as a consequence. 

In 2017, I was commissioned by the Jewelled Tortoise imprint of the MHRA to produce a critical edition of George Moore's novel Confessions of a Young Man. If you do not already know this series, it is dedicated to important works from the late nineteenth century associated with Decadence and Aestheticism. There are already wonderful scholarly editions of the poetry of Arthur Symons, the short stories of Walter Pater and the weird fiction of Arthur Machen and other fantastic volumes are planned or in print.
  
I completed the basic work of assembling and annotating the novel's text by the start of 2020, but the pandemic hit just as I started work on the volume's introduction. This was planned as a major critical part of the project, where I would set out the history of the text and outline some of the key topics and issues raised by Moore in his novel. But my work for the introduction has remained as notes, fragments of ideas and quotations ever since.**



So, I'm hoping to use this blog to unpack and unravel some of those ideas and explore some of the general ideas about Moore and his writings that have arisen from the work I've done on this edition. Eventually, I'll gather this material up and revise it into the introduction. But in the meantime, I'm also hopeful that this blog might serve as a useful introduction to Moore and especially to Confessions of a Young Man, if anyone's interested.

I'm hoping that I will be able to produce blog entries on a weekly basis: I have a list of topics that should keep this going for around eight or nine weeks. My plan is to write short and focussed entries, although inevitably some of them may end up longer. As I get interested or excited by a critical project, I tend to get carried away. But that's the point of this exercise!

I'm going to turn off comments on individual posts. If you want to reach me to comment or provide feedback, you can find me on Twitter as @keatsandchapman.


* This is not said in protest. I recognise how lucky I am to have remained healthy and not to have lost family members. I am also deeply, deeply grateful to the staff of the NHS. Please show your own support by wearing a mask, getting the vaccine if you can and being cautious. The end is in sight, but this isn't over - yet.

** I mean this quite literally - I found an index card yesterday on which I had scrawled something that is now incomprehensible to me. 'Naturist concept of self because Unconscious drives'?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Impressions of Zola

Waxing lyrical: Moore and Schopenhauer

The Académie Julian